Tuesday 5 January 2010

2010:The Year of Living Studiously?


I have just enrolled for an EVO course!! As of 11th January I will be learning about Images4Education 2010, hosted on the Ning platform. I am very excited about learning more about how to exploit the power of images and how to use them effectively in my lessons. There is a fantastic group of participants already registered and enrollment is open until January 10th, so hurry and join me if you are interested in this subject area!! It would be lovely to connect with you.

I have to admit, it was soooo difficult for me to choose because I liked the look of every course!! I almost opted for Digital Material preparation techniques and resources for TESOL professionals.
Maybe I will do this one next year.

As well as the Images4Education course, which I am really looking forward to, I am currently doing a course in Moodle for Gardening and Cooking. You can see details of the Moodle4Teachers programme here on the Integrating Technology for Active Life-long Learning website. This promises to be very interesting and I will write about how I get on in the coming weeks.

Arabella Cascarino
Yes, she does exist, virtually!! Arabella Cascarino was created at the end of 2008 and has lain in limbo ever since. She is waiting for a First Life, let alone a Second Life, but I haven't given her any sort of Life yet. This is a bit sad but, tweeting, blogging, ninging and horticultural matters have impeded her development. I would love to resurrect her and give her a dazzling lifestyle in Second Life but I am a complete novice and so, I kind of RAN away as soon as her eyecatching name was penned.

A Matter of Life or Death
Why Arabella? It sounds aristocratic and old-fashioned even if I have found out it's also the name of a famous racing horse. Why Cascarino? It sounds like a cool surname and added to Arabella it engenders a mix of aristocracy and"je ne sais quoi". Resolution for 2010? To take the plunge and breathe some life into Arabella and see how she develops??? This will mean even more learning. Am I up for it all? Why not? Life is for learning and challenging oneself. I should begin by teaching myself the basics by reading Nik Peachey's excellent posting here, which also contains references to informative Second Life video tutorials by Russell Stannard.

I hope 2010 will be a fantastic learning opportunity for you all, doing whatever your heart tells you to do!!

12 comments:

Betty Carlson said...

The image course sounds really interesting -- I ran into your blog through Twitter -- I think I will go check the courses out!

Janet Bianchini said...

Hi Betty

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I am sure you will find a course you like as they all look so good! Good luck with selecting one before January 10th!

Eva Büyüksimkeşyan said...

Hi Janet,
ı just enrolled the Digital Material preparation techniques and resources for TESOL professionals.
and I'm so sorry to miss an opportunity 2 collaborate with U. Anyway, we can always learn from each other, can't we? Thanx 4 sharing.

Eva Büyüksimkeşyan

Janet Bianchini said...

Hi Eva

Good luck with your course! I was debating to take the same one you have chosen as it looks really interesting. Of course, I would love to learn with you and we can find out about our respective courses via our blogs, so that will be great!

Betty Carlson said...

Janet -- I did sign up for the use of images course, so maybe we will be in contact. I've never taken a Ning course like that so it should be interesting. I've put your blog on the sidebar of my extremely incipient teaching blog, so I can keep up with you.

Have a great weekend.

Janet Bianchini said...

Hi Betty

Thank you so much for your interest in my blog. I look forward to connecting with you on our Images course, which begins very soon!

Have a great weekend too :)

Anne Hodgson said...

Kudos to you, and lots of success on this big, big project :)

I'm trying my hand at an extensive Moodle course which is essentially a compendium of everything you ever wanted (and didn't want) to know about grammar, for university students/ self-learners, so the course is one long test.
... I know ... sort of sad ... not exactly what you want to do with Moodle ...
Anyway: I've got all the basics and even a few books, but I'm not really happy with the limitations of the software for making tests, and am looking for some more variation so it's more engaging. So if you have any experience in Moodle tests, or connect up with anyone who does, please do let me know!

Thanks very much for your comment on my blog... and be sure to drink Karl's wine ;) (Helmut says hello!)

Mike Harrison said...

Hi Janet,

I found your blog via Jamie Keddie's Mr Men. Good luck with your course. Have added your blog to my RSS feeds as I'm starting to think about the 'What next...?' in terms of my own professional development. I'll certainly be interested to hear how you get on!

Why didn't I put this comment on your later posting - well I wanted to draw your attention to another famous Cascarino http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Cascarino :-)

Betty Carlson said...

How are you doing with the platform? I think I got through most of the 1st week's "tasks" but am a little overwhelmed by the number of possible exchanges, platforms to explore, emails coming in...

I think summer would have probably been a better time for me to sign up! But I am going to try to spend some time on it this weekend. Cheers.

Janet Bianchini said...

Hi Anne

Thank you for commenting back on my blog. You have started off a really interesting discussion with your post on your blog and I look forward to seeing how it develops.

Your Moodle course sounds very comprehensive and I am sure it will work very well. I have read that "Hot Potatoes" is a good testing programme which works well in Moodle. Also, "Quizlet" is a nice, fun testing programme to recycle vocabulary etc.

Thank you for your encouragement! I really consider myself to be a novice Moodler and I have not actually used it yet as a teaching platform on my own, so to speak. It's different when you are learning in a team. I am currently contributing to a gardening/cooking project in my Moodle for Teachers class and I am really enjoying it. At the same time I am reviewing how to use the features. It all takes a lot of practice!

Say Hi to Helmut from me! Tonight I will be limiting my Internet use to 9pm and then I will switch off the computer and relax and watch an Italian film on RAI Uno and enjoy a glass of Trebbiano d'Abruzzo with Karl.

All the best

Janet

Janet Bianchini said...

Hi Mike

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and for adding me to your feed! You'll find that the blogosphere is a very fascinating world and you will connect with so many people who will help and share their knowledge.

Thank you for the Wikipedia link! I had heard of Tony Cascarino the Irish footballer, so yet another dimension to Arabella!

Good luck with your blogging adventure. I am sure you will have a lot of fun!

Janet Bianchini said...

Hi Betty

I am enjoying the course very much and I signed up for my flickr account yesterday. I have added one photo so far!

I agree it is all a bit overwhelming with numerous emails/ different groups to explore. What I have done is changed the settings so I don't receive over 60 emails every day notifying me of everybody's comments. I prefer to check updates myself on the Ning usually once a day.

I am really excited to learn more about Flickr, tags and Creative Commons Licence etc.

Like you, I will have more time over the weekend to complete Week one tasks. Will connect with you on the Ning soon!