Thursday 15 April 2010

Volcanic Ash - Act of Nature

"I've got something to tell you which isn't too good" my hubby told me this morning at around 11a.m. I was upstairs packing my case ready for me to fly back to the UK tomorrow to teach at the Lake School of English on a Teachers Refresher course on Monday. His face didn't look too happy and I immediately thought of something it could be. Thank goodness I was wrong, but what he said next was not positive. "All flights to the UK have been cancelled due to volcanic ash from Iceland". I looked at him with incomprehension." Err... volcanic ash??? What on earth do you mean?" Well, the following article from the Daily Telegraph today explains in full what this situation means.

Image created just now from wordle.com

After watching this news bulletin from the BBC News, I suddenly undestood the gravity of what has happened and is still happening in Iceland. I am very sorry for all the disruption it is causing to so many people.
In Pictures from BBC News.
A lesson hot off the press literally from Jason Renshaw's English Raven blog called "Iceland? Volcanoes? Ash Clouds? Have I got a TEFL Lesson for you!"
Iceland volcano shuts Euro airspace a lesson from Sean Banville's Breaking News English website.

The big question now is:will Janet get on a flight tomorrow so that she can teach on Monday morning? I am hoping the answer will be yes, and for quite a number of very important reasons.

Coming soon!
Arabella's First Grand Outing in Second Life
Anima Petri Wine Review
New Book Review of "Moodle 1.9 Theme Design: Beginners Guide Book"
Lake School of English News Update

3 comments:

Seth Dickens said...

Oh No! good luck1 I have to admit though the really big question for me is whether Sth will be able to fly to England tomorrow :-o I'm supposed to be meeting my little Niece for the first time and now... well I'm just not sure :-(

We're on the 22.30 Treviso Bristol, what about you Janet?

Hope you get there okay!

Janet Bianchini said...

Hi Seth

I should be on the 1pm London-bound Stansted flight from Pescara tomorrow. Here's hoping it'll happen. Good luck with your flight tomorrow night as well.

Janet

popps said...

I'm setting off in a car for the ports and boat -do you need/want a lift?