Thursday 14 May 2009

Slang dialogue - 2

I have just been inspired to create another Xtranormal movie after watching Russel Stannard's excellent video tutorial. It was simple to create and fun to do.



I would use the above short video extract as a listening activity to introduce the following colloquial expressions, or as a vocabulary review activity:

BLING
OTT

DOSH
NO WAY!
COST A BOMB

Once the students know the meaning of the words I would ask them to make up their own mini dialogue using the above and then act it out in front of the class. An alternative would be to get students to create their own video film in small groups or pairs and then view them open class.
I am certain students would find this sort of activity challenging and great fun.

Have a go yourself and see what you can produce and then report back here, if you like. Good luck!

4 comments:

KALINAGO ENGLISH said...

Wow! This is really clever - I had to watch it twice though, is it possible to also make these videos longer... okay, off to go find out.

Karenne

Janet Bianchini said...

Thanks! Yes, it is possible to make the videos longer. In this particular example, I just wanted to use the visuals as a brief introduction to the vocabulary. Also, I wanted to see what I could create in a very short space of time. Good luck with your creation. Let me know how you get on.

KALINAGO ENGLISH said...

Hi Janet,

Back to say WOW, thanks for the tip.

I made two and playing around with a third. I think I can turn these into a series of businees english idioms for my student blog,
gives an audio quality to them - which was missing!

Again, ta very much!

The two I've done so far are here:

kalinagoenglish-h2le series

Janet Bianchini said...

Hi Karenne

I am very impressed with your 2 lovely videos. They are just the right length and great fun to view.

Take care

Janet